Asparagus with Caramelised Shallots & Tarragon Mayonnaise
By Bettina Campolucci Bordi and Laphroaig
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time15 mins
For the Aquafaba Mayonnaise
For the Asparagus
For the Mayonnaise
1. Add the diced shallots to a pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook over a medium heat until softened and starting to colour.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 10 minutes to caramelise. Remove the shallots from the pan and set aside until ready to use.
3. Add the aquafaba, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to a large bowl and using an electric hand whisk, whisk until just combined and foamy.
4. Continue to whisk and add the rapeseed oil gradually, a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well between each addition. Keep adding the oil until it is all incorporated, whisking until the mixture emulsifies and comes together as a mayonnaise.
5. Season with salt and pepper then fold through the shallots, mustard, and the tarragon. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
For the asparagus and to serve
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, reduce to a vigorous simmer, and add the asparagus. Cook for 3-4 minutes until asparagus is easily pierced with a knife.
2. Drain asparagus and run under cold water for 30 seconds.
3. Toss the asparagus in remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Spoon a generous spoonful of mayonnaise on to the serving plates and arrange the asparagus spears on top. Dress with herbs and flowers and serve immediately.