Black bean soup with mojo
Mojo is made with garlic, lime and coriander to add some zing to your soup.
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time480 mins
For the Black Bean Soup
For the Mojo
1) Put black beans, pork ribs, water, rum, garlic head halves, onion, salt, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, and crushed red pepper in a slow cooker; cover and cook on LOW until the beans are tender and the meat is falling off the rib bones, about eight hours.
2) Remove the ribs from the soup. Using a handheld immersion blender, partially puree the soup until it is creamy but still has some texture from whole beans. (Or puree half the soup in a blender and stir it back into the slow cooker.)
3) Pull the meat from the rib bones, shredding it into large pieces, and stir it into the soup.
For the Mojo:
1) Put the garlic and olive oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH until the garlic is golden, one to two minutes.
2) Stir in the lime juice, coriander, and salt and set aside until ready to serve.
3) Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle each serving with some mojo. Pass the remaining mojo.