Broiled chicken with tomato relish and spaghetti
- Preparation Time10 mins
- Cooking Time45 mins
For the marinade
For the chicken
2) Cut the backbone out the chickens with kitchen scissors and reserve for another use or discard. In a shallow dish combine the thyme, 9 cloves crushed garlic, lemon juice and 5 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil. Add the chickens and coat thoroughly in the mixture, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 hr.
3) Remove the chicken from the marinade, discard marinade. Turn the birds breast-side up and fold the wing tips back and under. Season both sides with some salt and pepper and the paprika.
4) Place the chickens bone-side up on a broiler pan and position the legs in the center. Roast in the oven until the chickens are 3/4 cooked, about 25 to 30 minutes.
5) Put the whole grape tomatoes, spring onions, garlic cloves, and basil leaves in a large bowl, drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the vegetables until they are lightly coated. After the chickens have cooked for about 25 minutes, arrange the vegetables around them. Turn the oven to grill and grill until the vegetables are charred, about 10 to 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should reach 70C. Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a cutting board. Pour off all except about 30ml of chicken fat from the pan and set aside.
6) Meanwhile, bring a large pot of cold water to a boil and salt it generously. Add the spaghetti, and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
7) Drain, reserving 125ml to 190ml of the pasta water and transfer the both to a serving bowl.
8) Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins, and chop them up with the spring onions, once chopped transfer to a bowl and add the charred grape tomatoes, stir to make a chunky relish.
9) Once the chicken is cooked and resting, place the pan you grilled the chicken in on the cook top over medium heat. Add the red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and the reserved pasta cooking water, bring up to a simmer scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the cooked spaghetti and chopped parsley, stir to coat and continue to cook for 1 min. Transfer the spaghetti to a serving bowl.
10) Carve the chicken, top with some of the chunky relish and serve with some of the spaghetti on the side. Garnish with grated Parmesan, if using.
Other recipes with chicken
Asparagus and Bread Soup with Pancetta
Yakitori (chicken on skewers) by ROKU
Tom Aiken's Gravy
Double-Batch Classic Bolognese
Aubergine Stew with Honey and Golden Sultana Polenta
Coronation Turkey Filled Jackets
Turkey and Creamy Stilton Pies
Roasted Turkey Gravy
Christmassy, Luxurious Chicken Liver Toasts
Buffalo Chicken Twice-Cooked Sweet Potatoes
Pasta with Pumpkin and Sausage
Spiced Butternut Squash Stew with Couscous
Shrimp and Artichoke Tagliatelle with Black Pepper and Pecorino
Skirt steak with ancho-onion steak sauce
Thai Green Chicken Curry
Slow cooker split pea soup with chorizo
Slow Roast Lamb
Sesame red curry chicken with bok choy and sweet coconut rice
Slow cooked potatoes with butter and thyme
Other recipes with tomato
Blue Cheese Steak Sandwich With The Works
Smoked Aubergine and Pea Curry
Roasted Edamame Salad
Avocado & Edamame Salad
Tropical Avocado Salsa
Farro Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs
Charred Corn Panzanella
Mum's Everyday Red Lentils
Smoked Salmon Puffs
Coronation Turkey Filled Jackets
Turkey Lasagne with Butternut Squash and Spinach
Crunchy Peanut Butter, Turkey and Coconut Curry
Pesto and Sundried Tomato Camembert Wreath
Winter Vegetable Soup
Vampire Blood Tomato Soup and Creepy Sandwich Dippers
Ghostinis with Bloody Murder Sundried Tomato Tapenade
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
Christmas Cookie Challenge
Bakers compete to make awesome holiday cookies in hopes of winning $10,000.
Holiday Baking Championship: Gingerbread Showdown
Teams tackle themed gingerbread build challenges for a prize worth $10,000.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
Teams of cake decorators, candy makers and pumpkin carvers create Halloween-themed displays in an elimination battle for a big cash prize.
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Buddy Vs. Christmas
Baking legend Buddy Valastro has taken on every cake challenge imaginable. Now, to mark the festive season, he takes on America’s greatest non-baking artists in a series of delicious Christmas-themed challenges.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Halloween Baking Championship
America’s top bakers battle it out to bake the spookiest, creepiest and most irresistible treats. The baker who impresses the most will take home $25,000.
Duff Goldman challenges talented bakers from across America to a spooky baking competition. These experts go head to head to see who can impress the judges with their edible Halloween creations for a chance to win the $10,000 prize.
Haunted Gingerbread Showdown
Nine of America’s best gingerbread artists craft spooky gingerbread creations for a chance to win the ultimate Halloween treat: a top prize of $25,000!
All ABC Games
Guy Fieri invites chefs to compete in three rounds featuring seafood and fried ingredients. The winner will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
All-Stars' Full Meal
Celebrity chefs take on three-course meal challenges. In one round, the chefs must include a special ingredient of Guy's choosing in their international dish.
Guy Fieri welcomes three couples to take on his culinary games. In one round, the loved-up duos must work against the clock to make a wedding dinner.
Pro Athletes And Judges
Guy invites three professional athletes to test their culinary skills. In one round, the sporting stars must shop for their ingredients while blindfolded.
Allegra travels to the Aegean coast and explores the diet of Turkey’s past. Back at home, she feels inspired to make a tasty artichoke and sausage salad.
Allegra heads to the vibrant city of Bursa and explores the morning food markets. Later, she learns from the grandson of the man who invented the doner kebab.
Three teams of chefs represent their restaurants as they compete in two action-packed rounds. The winning team will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to get creative and assemble tasty sandwiches. The chef who has the most skill between two slices of bread will win up to $20,000.
Guy Fieri gives four home cooks a chance to prove their culinary skills. The rookie who best rises to the challenge will win a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
Ultimate Asian Food Showdown
Four chefs face off to see who can make the tastiest Asian cuisine. In one round, the chefs must use tiny carts to shop for their rice dishes.
Guy Fieri invites three of America’s best cheese chefs to take on his culinary games. The final round pits the competitors against chef Eric Greenspan.
Allegra is in Iznik to learn the secrets to making a stuffed flatbread called gozleme. Back in the kitchen, she demonstrates how to cook chicken guvec.
Chef Allegra McEvedy explores the culinary culture of Istanbul. She visits a world-famous spice market and samples a variety of unique Turkish Delights.
Wild And Crazy Budget Games
Guy Fieri challenges four talented chefs to make tasty dishes on a budget. The winner gets a shopping spree worth up to $20,000.
The chefs are challenged to make full meals for four on a budget of $5. The competitor who beats some of Guy's toughest games yet gets prize worth up to $20,000.
All Budget Wheel Games
Guy Fieri spins a wheel to decide how much the chefs will get to spend on ingredients for their dishes. The winner gets a prize worth up to $20,000.
Clash Of The Vegetarians!
Four veggie masters compete for a prize worth up to $20,000. In one round, a wheel determines the classic meat dishes the chefs must make vegetarian.
Duff's New Year's Eve Cake-Off
Four professional bakers must capture change through the years in their innovative New Year's Eve cakes, but there's a catch: The cakes must also transform from old to new.
Holiday: Cartoon Christmas
Buddy Valastro, Duff Goldman and their teams face off in their first challenge, building Christmas cakes inspired Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the Peanuts gang.