Cajun beef Southwestern salad (new dynamic beef dishes)
- Preparation Time35 mins
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/Gas 4.
2) Press 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning evenly onto beef steaks. cover and refrigerate.
3) Place figs, cut side up, on rimmed metal baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for about 25 to 35 minutes or until very soft and starting to caramelise. Set aside.
4) Meanwhile, zest and squeeze juice from 1 orange. combine 60ml orange juice, orange peel, oil and 1 1/2 tsps cajun seasoning in small bowl. Set aside.
5) Peel and cut segments from remaining 2 oranges. Set aside.
6) Preheat charcoal barbecue to medium heat. Place steaks on barbecue over medium, ash-covered coals. Cook on the barbecue, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
7) Carve steaks into slices. Assemble salad by layering spinach, beans, onion, figs, orange segments and steak slices. Top with nuts and cheese. Drizzle with orange dressing.
Cook's Tip: to prepare on gas barbecue, preheat barbecue according to manufacturer's directions for medium heat. Barbecue steaks, covered, 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
To cut segments from orange, cut off both ends of orange with paring knife. stand orange on 1 cut end and slice vertically (top to bottom) to remove peel and white pith in strips. Follow curve of orange with paring knife to remove as little flesh as possible. cut each segment free by slicing down on both sides of surrounding membranes.
Any sweet orange may be substituted for blood oranges.
12 dried figs may be substituted for fresh. Re-hydrate in hot water according to package directions before using. Omit roasting step. Cut figs into quarters and arrange in salad as directed above. or, 500g peaches, nectarines or sweet plums, cut into 1/8 or fresh pineapple cut into 2-cm chunks may be substituted. roast as directed above; increase roasting time to 35 to 45 minutes or until fruit begins to caramelize.
2 beef rib-eye steaks, cut 2-cm thick (about 350g each) may be substituted for top loin (strip) steaks. Barbecue, uncovered, over medium, ash-covered coals 11 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas barbecue, covered, 9 to 14 minutes) for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.