Chairman Mao's cherry cola skirt steak
- Preparation Time30 mins
- Cooking Time60 mins
2) While it's draining, lightly rinse the inside of the skillet with warm water, wipe with paper towel, then put back on the stove. Make sure skillet is dry on inside so the oil doesn't pop. Coat the skillet with oil and add the rock candy. Let it melt for 1 minute or until halfway melted on medium heat. Add the browned beef and stir until caramelized.
3) Remove the skillet from the heat, add moutai and ignite with a long kitchen match. Let it flame for 10 to 15 seconds then return the skillet to the heat. Add the rice wine, garlic, onion, horseradish, 125ml of soy sauce, and the fermented rice sauce. Let simmer for 2 minutes and then add 500ml of the water. Let simmer for 5 minutes, then skim the foam off the top. Add the cherry cola and let boil, uncovered, on high heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining cup of water and cover. Cook until tender, usually another 50 minutes.
4) About 20 minutes before serving, set up a bamboo steamer. Put the dried lotus leaves in steamer and put the 8 buns on top. Steam until soft, but still firm, usually 3 to 5 minutes.
5) Roughly chop the beef. You don't want to chop it fine, you just want nice bite-sized pieces. Stuff each bun with the beef and some onions from the pot.
6) Transfer the lotus leaves to a serving platter and arrange the buns on top. The large leaves give off a nice aroma and looks cool. It's good party presentation for serving.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.