Orecchiette with Kale and Spicy Pangrattto
- Cooking Time15 mins
1. Blanch the kale in batches for 3-4 minutes in a large pan of lightly salted water until just tender. Using a tongs, transfer to a tray and leave to cool, then squeeze out all the excess water. Chop the leaves and finely chop the stems. Set aside until needed and reserve the cooking water.
2. Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring regularly until they are beginning to brown. Stir in half of the garlic and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, again stirring often until the breadcrumbs are nicely golden. Season with salt and pepper and then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and leave to cool.
3. Heat the butter in a large saucepan with two tablespoons of the oil. Add the anchovies, dried chillies and remaining garlic and cook for 2 minutes, mashing down the anchovies with a wooden spoon to make a paste.
4. Add the kale and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes until the kale is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Meanwhile, bring the reserved kale cooking liquid to a rolling boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions until ‘al dente’. Drain and reserve a cupful of the pasta cooking liquid.
6. Tip the pasta along with half a cup of the pasta cooking liquid into the kale and anchovy mixture and stir over a high heat for a couple of minutes adding a little more of the cooking liquid as needed until the sauce has nicely coated the pasta.
7. Mix in the Parmesan and half of the pangrattato (golden breadcrumbs), tossing to combine.
8. Divide the pasta among bowls and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil, then scatter over the remaining pangrattato to serve.
Spicy Orecchiette with Kale and Pangrattato
Other recipes with kale
Bean-Kale Burgers with Sweet Potato Wedges
Lamb Chops with Root Vegetables and Colcannon
Spicy Sausage, Kale and Beanz Bowls
Chicken Kale Caesar Salad Meal Kit
Creamed Kale with Caramelised Shallots
Kale Citrus Salad
Chicken and chorizo romesco with spanish potatoes and kale
Cajun pork tenderloin with braised greens
Chicken and Chorizo Romesco with Spanish Potatoes and Kale
Italian winter greens with pear-walnut dressing
Colcannon (Irish potato salad)
Chicken Thighs with Kale
Andy's Duck Feijoada
Sardine Pistou and Chilli Kale Spaghetti
Roasted greens panzanella salad
Braised kale with toasted almonds
Diners, Drive-Ins, And Dives
Guy Fieri takes a cross-country road trip to visit some of America's classic "greasy spoon" restaurants that have been doing it right for decades.
Man V. Food
A culinary tour across America, checking out the best diners, looking for great food and tackling the nation's largest and most fiery eating challenges.
Spring Baking Championship
Top bakers compete in exciting challenges inspired by the beauty of spring.
When restaurant owners suspect employees of not doing their jobs, or generally doing lousy work, they call in the Mystery Diners. What will they find?
Turning a failing restaurant around is a daunting task under the best of circumstances; attempting to do it in just two days and with a limited budget seems an impossible task. But chef Robert Irvine is ready to take on the challenge.
The Pioneer Woman
Award winning blogger and former city girl Ree Drummond shares her special brand of home cooking, from throw-together meals to elegant creations.
James Martin's French Adventure
James Martin takes a road trip to explore the very best in French cuisine.
Best Baker In America
Skilled bakers are challenged to use their style and technical abilities to make stunning, tasty treats. The baker that impresses the judges the most takes home a cash prize and the title of Best Baker in America.
Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations
Chef Andrew Zimmern discovers the legendary foods that define a location.
Holiday Baking Championship
Eight bakers show off their family traditions and superb baking skills. They must prove their abilities in front of judges Nancy Fuller, Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale.
The Hairy Bikers' Chicken & Egg
The Hairy Bikers hunt for the world’s greatest chicken and egg recipes.
Buddy Vs. Duff
Top bakers Buddy Valastro and Duff Goldman compete in a series of challenges to test their culinary expertise and end one of the greatest feuds in baking history. Who will win the ultimate showdown and take a slice of victory?
Barefoot Contessa: Back To Basics
Self-taught cooking queen, Ina Garten, shares her delicious, simple and unique recipes. Her dishes are perfect for celebrations and family dinners.
Girl Meets Farm
Cookbook author and food blogger, Molly Yeh, makes delicious dishes inspired by her Jewish and Chinese heritage in her farmhouse kitchen in the Midwest.
Casey Webb's quest for the best takes him to Delaware for an ice cream custard that has locals lining up. Plus, he takes on a daunting surf and turf challenge.
Long Island, New York
Casey Webb heads to Long Island for an Italian chicken parmesan-pizza hybrid, a twist on a Jewish meat-and-potato tradition and a 10-scoop ice cream challenge.
Spring Gardens: The Birds and the Bugs
Ali challenges the final bakers to create spring songbird-themed desserts followed by a lush garden cake. Who will win the title and $25,000 prize?
Nine elite bakers are challenged to make their own version of Maryland’s Smith Island cake. And, the bakers must make a dessert inspired by a classic shoofly pie.
Battle of the Bacon
Four chefs take on an all-bacon battle for a shot at $20,000. In the first round, Guy challenges the chefs to make their signature sweet and savoury bacon dish.
The bakers compete to combine destination desserts with classic snacks. Next, they create a two-dessert landscape resembling a forest, amusement park, city or beach.
James ventures to Paris, one of his favourite cities in the world! He cooks duck breast with tangy vegetables, a steak baguette and gin and cucumber savarin.
Nothin' but Noodles
Guy Fieri brings in four noodle-savvy chefs from across the US for two rounds of highflying noodle action. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
The bakers must make a fruity spring dessert in a skillet to enjoy around the campfire. Next, they create a spring-themed cake that looks like a wintry craft.
James arrives in the tiny village of Giverny, known for its food and art. He explores Monet’s kitchen and cooks up an autumnal treat of apple doughnuts.
Guy Fieri invites four superstar chefs to compete in a budget battle. They are put to the test and must make a dollar stretch all competition long.
The Spring Cookie Classic
Ali challenges the bakers to invent their own spring delight featuring cookies and fruit. Next, they must turn classic cookies into spring desserts.
James travels to Normandy, home to his all-time favourite ingredient, butter! He cooks up artichokes with hollandaise whilst visiting a Calvados orchard.
Guy Fieri invites four chefs to compete against the clock! First, the chefs must shop for their signature seafood dinner ingredients in teeny-tiny baskets.
Spring Flower Fiesta
Host Ali Khan challenges the bakers to use pressed and dried flowers in their desserts. Next, they make a fantasy cake that features a flower flavour.
Isle Sur La Sorgue
James heads to the riverside town of Isle Sur La Sorge, where his food hero, Keith Floyd, once owned a restaurant. He cooks peaches pain perdu in the sunshine.
Ultimate Grocery List
Guy gives four chefs a list of seven not-so-friendly ingredients that they must use during the competition. Who will earn a shopping spree worth up to $20,000?
Adam goes on a meaty mission from Colorado to New York. His carnivorous cravings call for his favourite roast beef sandwich from his hometown in Brooklyn.
Adam continues his carnivorous rampage of hearty meals. He tastes Chicago’s infamous Italian beef sandwich and faces a meaty mission in Talkeetna, Alaska.