Orecchiette with Kale and Spicy Pangrattto
- Cooking Time15 mins
1. Blanch the kale in batches for 3-4 minutes in a large pan of lightly salted water until just tender. Using a tongs, transfer to a tray and leave to cool, then squeeze out all the excess water. Chop the leaves and finely chop the stems. Set aside until needed and reserve the cooking water.
2. Heat half of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring regularly until they are beginning to brown. Stir in half of the garlic and continue to cook for another 3 minutes, again stirring often until the breadcrumbs are nicely golden. Season with salt and pepper and then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and leave to cool.
3. Heat the butter in a large saucepan with two tablespoons of the oil. Add the anchovies, dried chillies and remaining garlic and cook for 2 minutes, mashing down the anchovies with a wooden spoon to make a paste.
4. Add the kale and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes until the kale is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Meanwhile, bring the reserved kale cooking liquid to a rolling boil and cook the pasta according to packet instructions until ‘al dente’. Drain and reserve a cupful of the pasta cooking liquid.
6. Tip the pasta along with half a cup of the pasta cooking liquid into the kale and anchovy mixture and stir over a high heat for a couple of minutes adding a little more of the cooking liquid as needed until the sauce has nicely coated the pasta.
7. Mix in the Parmesan and half of the pangrattato (golden breadcrumbs), tossing to combine.
8. Divide the pasta among bowls and drizzle with the rest of the olive oil, then scatter over the remaining pangrattato to serve.