Pork Milanese with warm autumn salad and poached egg
- Preparation Time20 mins
- Cooking Time20 mins
2) Season the pork generously with salt on both sides. Using 1 hand for wet ingredients and the other hand for dry ingredients, coat the meat in the flour, then in the eggs, and then in the breadcrumbs, pressing the panko onto the pork to adhere. Set aside until ready to cook.
3) Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or greaseproof paper. Spread a tbsp of the grated parmesan into a thin circle about 7.5cm in diameter to form a frico. Repeat 3 more times.
4) Put the baking sheet into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and reduce the heat to 90C/Gas 1/4 or as low as it will go.
5) In a large saucepan over high heat, bring about 5cm to 7.5cm of water to a boil. Add the white vinegar and reduce the heat to bring the water to a bare simmer. Carefully crack the remaining 4 eggs into the water and cook until the whites are set but the yolk is still soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them into a bowl of ice water to stop them cooking. Keep the water on the hob to reheat the eggs when you are ready to serve.
6) Add about 1cm of olive oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat. Check the temperature of the oil by dipping the edge of the pork into the oil; if it does not sizzle and bubble STOP and WAIT! Check again in another minute; if the oil is smoking it is too hot.
7) When the oil is at the proper temperature gently add the meat. Do not crowd the pan or you will end up with greasy pork; it may be necessary to work in batches. When the pork is beautifully golden brown on each side and cooked through, remove from the pan and blot on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and put in the oven on a baking sheet to keep warm.
8) Pour a thin layer of oil in another large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and a pinch of chilli flakes, season with salt and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, season with salt, and cook until they are soft and wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the pan is looking dry add another few drops of olive oil.
9) Add the rocket, radicchio and red wine vinegar. Toss to combine and add more olive oil if needed. Season with salt, if needed.
10) When you are ready to serve, remove the poached eggs from the ice bath and put them back into the hot water to heat through. Arrange a piece of pork in the centre of each serving plate and top it with some of the salad. Remove each egg from the hot water and pat dry. Put it on top of the salad and sprinkle with a few chilli flakes. Carefully remove a frico from the baking sheet and prop it up next to the egg on each plate. Sprinkle some extra Parmesan all around and drizzle with some olive oil. You rock!